Thursday, November 10

I want all the self concious girls, who really try to hide who they are with make-up.

My writing class is a strange mélange of people. Most of the students are not in arts or essay based classes and I get the feeling many haven't thought about creative writing since it was a forced subject in high school. It makes for some very awkward class discussions, and also creates a lot of defensive students.

For instance, we have been doing a lot of workshopping recently. Everyone submits their work (poems, short stories) and we read through each one as a group and then comment.

But all the writing is submitted anonymously.

Because back in the begining of term a few people freaked out at the thought of others knowing which pieces they had wrote. It was suggested that this anonymity would allow for greater feedback to occur, as no one would be worried they might hurt another student's feelings directly.

I took this as an excuse to become very outspoken and critical. Then again, I always speak out in class (any class) when I can because... why not? It makes class go faster, it's fun to interact with the material being discussed, and in my writing class it's what workshopping is all about.

Which means that I have become the bitch of my writing class. I point out mistakes in everything, from tense misuse to redunant language to blatently stupid ideas. I try and write as many comments as I can on the hard-copies of stories. Because really, I want people to do the same to my work.

But so many of my classmates are still silent. Some don't speak at all during a two-hour class, and I get many stories returned with not a single comment marked. And while I do think that there is a huge value in attaching yourself to your own ideas and opinions, I am amazed that so few students take advantage of the chance to be secretly snarky.

Or maybe I am a writing fiend and I'm simply just over-assessing other's enthusiasm for the class. Does that make me one of those try-hard students? Eugh, I hope not.