Thursday, November 24

My mother called to enquire on the status of my grad photos today, because last week when I asked for money she had suggested I find a way to not pay for them.

“You know, when I was in University I didn’t have to pay for my photos. I modeled for the photographer’s portfolio. I think I even got the biggest package available.”

Yes yes, a story I have heard many times, and in many variations.

As a teen/twenty-something my mom was the quintessential popular girl. She rode in her hometown’s parade as winter carnival queen, graduated as prom queen, and has a significant collection of jewelry (all gold) given to her by various beaus and boyfriends. I think she had like four or five guys propose marriage before my dad came along.

“So do you want me to go hang out in the student center and flirt with the grad photographer?”

No no, being a photographer’s muse should come naturally.

If mom really wanted to help, she could give me some tips on amassing a jewelry collection. (I would just borrow from her, but my sister fully raided that jewlery box last summer.) But at the same time, I feel like the era for 'random acts of jewlery' has passed: you need to be in a pretty serious relationship to get some sparkle these days.

Now who wants to prove me wrong?