Thursday, April 13


Yesterday I was working a promo gig at the Taste of Chaos concert tour show in London. For those of you who don't know what Taste of Chaos is, it's a huge festival show that features a whole bunch of emo/screamo bands I have never heard of before. Or, if I have heard of them, they're on that level of my subconcious better known as perma-ignore.

So I was working with a good friend of mine, trying to get the little concert goers to sign up for a contest while giving away some flashy schwag. Which basically meant, take this toy and give us your info so we can track your likes and dislikes and future youth marketing can be better targeted against you!

Because of this, I soon found out that all the kids at the show were born AFTER 1990. Which literally blows my mind, that kids born in the 90s are old enough to be spending a day at festival concerts. That girls born in the 90s know how to put on make-up and style their hair better than I can in some cases. That boys born in the 90s dress up in pink and black, look ambiguous in skinny jeans, and have cute shaggy emo hair styles.

(case in point: VJ Search winner Tim. He's like the ultimate icon for the bevy of thirteen-year-olds who voted him in.)

Anyway, I was really against the whole mock-punk-emo-music scene before I worked at Taste of Chaos. Okay, I still am, but to a different extent: I now fully love 1990s-born emo kids.

I know how compelling strange fashion/music/life statements can be in your early teens (ahem, raving, ahem). But the thing is, the weird styles only look good on kids still in that obsessive-naive phase. You have to be completely oblivious to express yourself through eyeliner-drawn on tears and bleeding-heart music. When you're young you still have excessive amounts of spending money, and all confused-phase styles are based on the premise that you have lots to spend on looking good. ($150 raver pants, anyone?)

Anyone born before the 90s, however, needs to get over it. No one wants to see your stretch marks (from physically growing out of your awkward phase) and faded band tee. We also don't want to hear your jaded "when I was at my first concert" comments as you mock the kids who wait in line 45-minutes to get their brand new skull-print shoes signed by the band they just bought the album and t-shirt of.

No no, oblivious youth trends are best left to the little kids--and simply because it can be sold back to them that much easier.