Thursday, June 1

Earlier in the month I started working for a local craft brewery. My job mainly revolves around in-store promotions and samplings, but also includes some other random gigs (and perks!). The job is totally fantastic--the hours are perfect, I like the products I sample, and I get to learn about beer and brewery techniques. Three weeks ago I had no idea what the difference between a lager, ale, or stout was, and now I am on my way to being a pro. (Well, sort of.)

My only problem is all the free beer. Okay, not all the free beer, because I would never hate on my 75% employee discount, but I do have an issue with on-the-job beer. Yes, that's right: I am getting paid to drink.

You see, sometimes my job includes working at industry events--events which are really just about talking, drinking, and enjoying beers. Industry events are fun because everyone is in a good mood, but ha ha, we're only in good moods because we've already tossed back a few complimentary pints and know the supply will never run out.

I know it's not fair to complain about a job that puts you in a constant state of ease. However, when this ease also transforms into relaxed judgement, verbal liberation, and a sense of everything being "cool"--THAT is when the problems begin.

My manager is only a few years older than me, and so we started bonding over tales of keg parties and university life. When we have had a drink or two, the conversations get more animated, and I start rambling. And then later I end up questioning the work-appropriate nature of everything I have said. It's simply too confusing! Honestly, after half a glass of wine I act more outgoing than usual--so you can imagine how hard it is to hold ground while in the company of brewmasters.

But I am more than willing to keep practicing. After all, from here on in I can only imagine that the art of formal conversational drinking will be an important skill to have.