Tuesday, January 9

Okay so 2007 is also somewhat scary. Not in a spooky way, but rather just overwhelming, filed with the unknown. Because unlike years of past, 2007 is not broken up by semesters or breaks. It doesn't come with a syllabus of things to do or what to accomplish. It's just: work. Work and figure the rest out. "Paige," my desk says each morning. "This is your life."

It's exciting, though, because this is the year we all change. (We being my recently graduated peers and fellow bloggers.) In the days after New Years I started thinking about the whole process of growing up—which I think is more aptly described as growing away, considering that most people associate one's geographical, financial, and emotional closeness to parents as the main factors of real adulthood. Anyways, I have decided that 2007 is the year we're all growing up up and away. Now comes figuring out what that means.

Working seems like a rather obvious contribution to adulthood. Especially because it's the one your parents (my parents) expect. And it's also the one that provides me with the disposable income to do anything else I want. Moving out is another clear "I'm an adult!" option, but I say a big NO THANKS to renting in Toronto when I already live there. So, goodbye disposable income, hello saving for a down payment.

But how about the whole emotional connection? As the boyfriend and I move in a more and more serious direction, I wonder if one day there’ll be a sudden switch, or if I will just slowly drift into a new, more distant status within my own family. Isn’t that really what it’s all about? You have to forge your own lifelong connections and put your everythings into something completely new and separate from your formative years.

And one last thought. If being an adult means our parents are no longer in control, does it also mean we also no longer have sway in familial decisions? I mean, adults can't parade into their parents' home and declare the new living room rug a disaster, can they? Growing up means learning how to smile and nod and say “yes Mom, I suppose the floral pattern does complement the drapes...”